Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mission Statement



Deut.11:13 and 16  ‘And it shall be that if you earnestly 5obey My commandments which I command you today, to love the Lord your God and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul,  16 Take heed to yourselves, nlest your heart be deceived, and you turn aside and oserve other gods and worship them,

I have been thinking about a mission statement for Living Witness Ministries. I believe they are helpful in focusing on the core of why we exist as a ministry. It would help us focus on what we are called to do or help us to not get side tracked trying to do what others are called to do. It got me thinking what my mission statement would be as an individual or for my household? I can throw out a quick answer "as for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord". (Josh 24:15) As true as that is, I don't think that fully states a clear mission statement. Maybe "To serve those who God has given me, by being a faithful follower of Christ and to be a living example of Jesus to them." That is not bad. Our reading today tells us what God expects our mission to be. A good mission statement should echo Deut. 11:13. Three words leap out at me from that verse. Obey, Love and Service. In the mind of God these three words have a cause and effect relationship with each other. God extends his love to us and demonstrates the depth of that Love in the atoning work of Jesus. This made the way clear to enter into a personal relationship with him. The works, our acts of Christian service, are the fruit that grows on the vine that is Christ. Obedience to God is the natural response to being placed by Christ into right standing with God.

I keep coming back to verse 16. In today's modern world, there are a few "False gods" out there.
Krishna, Allah, to name only two. However, ANY thing that comes between total loyalty to God and Obedience to him is also a false God. Shouldn’t that be part of out mission statements? Family, Friends, Jobs, Money, Pleasure, Self, all of these can be false gods. Now I am thinking back to the wise statement by Joshua. "As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Not Family, Friends and so on. "We shall serve the Lord" Not selfish desires. The one true, Loving, Living GOD! His agenda must be our agenda. So let us give this mission statement thing another shot. "I will love and serve and obey the one true God. Who reveled himself to me in Jesus of Nazareth. I will be found by him being about his business when ever he looks my way. I will serve God by serving others, starting with those he gave to me." I like that!


Mission Statements help keep Gods agenda and our agenda, as one and the same. They keep Him at the fore front of our hearts and minds daily, as we remind ourselves of their purpose. How does that mission statement stack up to what motivates you daily? Maybe you want to think about it? Let us pray:

Father, help us to keep in mind daily who we serve and the place you are to have in our lives. I pray that there would not be any difference in agendas. Forgive us for poor priorities. Father there is only one throne in our hearts and it must belong to you. NOTHING can come between us and you, nothing. Help us to have a quality Mission Statement; one that reflects your agenda and priorities. Let your Holy Spirit Empower us today, because we can not do it on our own. Help us to live for King and Kingdom today and everyday. In Jesus’ name, Amen.



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment